The 2016 Toyota RAV4 gains from a modest indoor and outdoor freshening this year. Most of the attention went inward. The 2016 RAV4 Hybrid model is also new. EPA-rated at 33 mpg Blended, the RAV4 Hybrid is the only small SUV presently available on a gas-electric powertrain.
The 2016 Toyota RAV4 SE, the sportiest model, is also new, and it features a sport-tuned suspension, paddle shifters, and 18-inch alloy wheels in addition to the same engine.
The RAV4 competes against the Honda CR-V, Ford Escape, Subaru Forester, and other small crossovers based on a narrow front-wheel-drive passenger car platform. The RAV4 is roomier and more enjoyable to drive than some of its competitors.
A 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine with 176 horsepower comes standard, coupled to a 6-speed automatic transmission with a sport-shift option. In less than nine seconds, the RAV4 will cross 60 mph. This is a slow performance (and a V6 is not available). Forecasts of fuel economy are below normal. Front-wheel drive models are EPA-rated at 23/30 mpg City/Highway, or 26 mpg Mixed. The all-wheel drive reduces each measurement by 1 mpg.
The new RAV4 Hybrid is more efficient and delivers the EPA classified at 34/31 mpg City/Highway. It can be run in electric-only mode at very low speeds. Using the 154-horsepower version of the 2.5-liter engine paired with the next generation Toyota Hybrid Synergy Drive mechanism, the RAV4 Hybrid produces a cumulative combined output of 194 horsepower. All-wheel drive is optional on the Hybrid, with a different electric motor running on the rear wheels.
Not only has RAV4 received some respectable crash test scores, but additional active safety systems have been introduced for 2016. The Highway Safety Insurance Institute called it the Top Safety Pick+. Although receiving a five-star overall ranking from the National Highway Safety Administration, the RAV4 had just four stars in frontal crash and rollover testing.
The Toyota Safety System is new for 2016. Standard on the 2016 RAV4 Limited features Ahead Collision Warning with automatic braking, Lane Departure Alert, adaptive cruise control, a pedestrian pre-collision feature, and automatic high beams. A modern four-camera Bird’s Eye View Monitor provides a 360-degree view of the vehicle.
Models of the 2016 Toyota Rav4
The 2016 Toyota RAV4 LE ($24,350) features air conditioning; leather seats; back-up camera; 17-inch steel wheels; and AM/FM/CD audio with a 6.1-inch touchscreen. RAV4 XLE ($26,270) adds automatic dual-zone climate control, sunroof, foglamps, leather-trimmed steering wheel, power lift and 17-inch alloy wheels.
RAV4 SE ($29,265) gets paddle shifters, a sport-tuned suspension, 18-inch alloy wheels, a unique front bumper and grille, black headliner, heated front seats, power driver’s seat, pushbutton start, and LED headlights/taillights. Also, standard is SofTex seat trim and a blind-spot monitor with rear cross-traffic alert.
RAV4 Limited ($31,510) adds Entuned Premium Audio with navigation and app suite, a 7-inch touchscreen, driver’s memory, Pre-Collision system with pedestrian detection, Lane Departure Alert, Lane Keeping Assist, and adaptive cruise control.
All-wheel drive ($1,400) is an option on all models.
RAV4 Hybrid XLE ($28,370) and RAV4 Hybrid Limited ($33,610) come standard with all-wheel drive.
WHAT IS THE SAFETY FEATURES AVAILABLE IN THE 2016 RAV4?
- Anti-Lock Brakes => ABS brakes.
- Brake Assist => Available.
- Brake Type => 4-wheel disc.
- Child Seat Anchor => Child seat anchors.
- Child-proof Locks => Child protector rear door locks.
- Driver Airbag => Driver side airbag.
- Electronic brake force distribution => Electronic brake force distribution.
- Front Seat Belts => pre-tensioner.
- Ignition Disable => Engine immobilizer.
- Knee Airbags => Driver-side knee airbag.
- Passenger Airbag => Passenger side airbag.
- Rear View Camera => Backup camera
- Roof Side Curtain => Side-curtain airbags.
- Side Airbag => Front seat-mounted side airbags.
INTERIOR DETAILS OF 2016 RAV4
- Clock => Digital clock.
- Door Trim => Fabric door trim.
- ECO Shift Indicator => Eco drive monitor.
- Floor Console => Front center console.
- Floor Covering => Carpet floor covering.
- Floor Mats => All-season carpet floor mats.
- Folding Rear Seats => 60/40 rear fold down bench.
- Front Seats => Active front headrests.
- Front Seats => Height-adjustable driver’s seat.
- Front Seats => Front seat back pockets.
- Headliner => Grey headliner.
- Instrumentation Type => Digital and analog instrumentation.
- Low Fuel Warning => Yes.
- Low Washer Fluid Warning => Yes.
- Number of Cup Holders => Front and rear cup holders.
- Outside Temperature Gauge => Yes.
- Overhead Console => Overhead console with sunglasses storage.
- Rear Center Armrest => Rear folding center armrest.
- Rear Seat Type => Rear bench.
- Seat Trim => Cloth seats.
- Tachometer => Yes.
- Water Temperature Gauge => Yes.
- Bumper Color => Color-keyed rear bumper.
- Door Handles => Body-color door handles.
- Exterior Decoration => Front windshield acoustic glass.
- Exterior Folding Mirrors => Foldable outside mirrors.
- Exterior Mirror Color => Color-keyed mirrors.
- Exterior Mirrors Lamp => Exteriors mirrors with integrated signal lamps.
- Fender Flares => Wheel arch molding.
- Headlight Type => Halogen headlights.
- Heated Exterior Mirrors => Yes.
- Mudguard => Front and rear splash guards.
- Power Exterior Mirrors => Power-adjustable outside mirrors.
- Privacy Glass (option) => Yes.
- Privacy Glass => Rear privacy glass.
- Rear Spoiler => Yes.
- Rear Window Defroster => Yes.
- Roof Rack (option) => Silver painted roof rails.
- Taillights => LED taillights.
- Tinted Glass => High solar energy absorbing window glass.
WHAT IS THE MECHANICAL FEATURES OF 2016 RAV4?
- Drive Train => Front-wheel drive.
- Engine Name => 2.5L L4 DOHC 16-valve.
- Stability Control => Yes.
- Traction Control => Yes.
- Transmission => 6-speed automated sequential transmission with manual mode.
WHAT ARE THE DIMENSIONS OF THE 2016 TOYOTA RAV4?
- Cargo Capacity => 1090 L.
- Curb Weight => 1555 kg.
- Front Headroom => 1012 mm.
- Front Legroom => 1081 mm.
- Fuel Tank Capacity => 60 L.
- Gross Vehicle Weight => 2055 kg.
- Ground Clearance => 155 mm.
- Height => 1675 mm.
- Length => 4600 mm.
- Max Trailer Weight => 680 kg.
- Maximum Cargo Capacity => 2081 L.
- Rear Headroom => 988 mm.
- Rear Legroom => 944 mm.
- Wheelbase => 2660 mm.
- Width => 1845 mm.
SUSPENSION AND STEERING
- Drive Selection => Drive mode select (sport, eco and normal modes).
- Front Anti-Roll Bar => Front stabilizer bar.
- Front Suspension => Front independent suspension.
- Front Tires => P225/65R17 tires.
- Power Steering => Electric power steering.
- Rear Anti-Roll Bar => Rear stabilizer bar.
- Rear Suspension => Rear independent suspension.
- Spare Tire => Full-size spare tire.
- Turning Circle => 10.6-meter turning circle diameter.
- Wheel Type => 17-inch steel wheels with covers.
Although the design has been refurbished in 2016, The 2016 Toyota RAV4 retains its simple square crossover shape. The most notable changes for 2016 have hit the front end, which has grown blunter and shares design features with Toyota sedans. The rear end sees only a modest reshaping, a new windshield, prominent taillights, and an upright appearance.