2014 Toyota Rav4 || – With the first RAV4 (for Recreational Active Vehicle, 4WD) in 1996, Toyota developed the crossover/SUV market. This fourth-generation RAV4 performs better than previous models and gets more miles per gallon of petrol. The latest style is more fluid: there is less truck and more vehicle. In comparison, the fourth-generation RAV4 is more oriented than its predecessor. The V6 engine is no longer available, as is the third row of seating. The 2014 Toyota RAV4 is now a four-cylinder, five-seater engine.
Of course, the 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine that is still available has all of Toyota’s normal high-tech features, including four valves per cylinder and variable valve timing on both the intake and exhaust sides (VVT-i, in Toyota-speak). It has a power output of 176 horsepower and torque of 172 pound-feet. It’s copulated to a six-speed automatic transmission, with the top two cogs acting as overdrive gears to assist with fuel economy.
For front-wheel drive, EPA scores are 24/31 mpg and 22/29 mpg for all-wheel drive, reflecting a 10% increase over 2012 and older models.
The 2014 Toyota Rav4 has been redesigned to stimulate more passion. The spare wheel is no longer stored on the tailgate, but rather under the trunk board, where it is most widely used.
The fourth-generation interior has also been updated, with a SofTex leather band extending the length of the dash. Although the feel isn’t necessarily luxurious, it holds its own against the rivalry, and the convenience is outstanding.
The fourth-generation RAV4 is a good move forward in terms of handling on the road. It has a much stronger and more grounded feel than before. The steering is a slight spongy, but the braking is fantastic. Despite the advances, the car appears to struggle to engage the driver.
Generally speaking, the 2014 RAV4 is a major update over the previous iteration. However, it is indeed a mode of transportation, and not one that you can love driving.
TOYOTA RAV4 2014 MODELS
The 2014 Toyota RAV4 comes in three models: LE, XLE and Limited. All three are available with front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive.
2014 Toyota RAV4 LE ($23,550) and LE AWD ($24,950) come standard with air conditioning, cruise control, fabric-trimmed six-way adjustable driver’s seat, four-way front-passenger seat, remote keyless entry, day/night rearview mirror, and Eco and Sport mode transmission programs. What Toyota now calls Entuned Audio mostly comprises features carried over from 2013 (6.1-inch touch-screen AM/FM/CD audio with MP3/WMA playback, six-speakers, auxiliary jack, USB port with iPod connectivity, Bluetooth with phonebook access and music streaming, integrated backup camera) but adds advanced voice recognition. (All prices are MSRP excluding $860 destination charge.)
2014 Toyota RAV4 XLE ($25,000) and XLE AWD ($26,400) upgrade with dual-zone climate control, premium fabric seats with sport bolstering and French stitching, power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade, dual sun visor extensions, roof rails, power heated outside mirrors with integrated turn signal, chrome accented grille with silver highlighted lower grille, fog lights, and 17-inch alloy wheels. New for 2014 is Entuned Audio Plus, which includes all the Entuned Audio features listed above and adds HD Radio with iTunes tagging, HD Traffic and Weather (metro areas only), and SiriusXM Radio (with 90-day trial subscription).
2014 Toyota RAV4 Limited ($28,320) and Limited AWD ($29,720) add Softex trimmed eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with French stitching and sport bolstering, leather-trimmed steering wheel, leather trimmed shifter lever, Softex covered armrest and console box, push button starts, power liftgate, and 18-inch alloy wheels. Again, the audio setup is new for 2014; called Entuned Premium Audio, it incorporates all features of Entuned Audio Plus and adds navigation and the Entuned App Suite, which includes Bing, iHeartRadio, MovieTickets.com, OpenTable, Yelp, Facebook Places, Pandora, and other smart-phone-type functions.
Options include Entuned Audio Plus for LE, and Entuned Premium Audio with navigation and App Suite for XLE. Limited buyers can step up to an 11-speaker JBL Green Edge system with all Entuned Premium functions. Also exclusive to Limited is a Technology Package that includes a blind spot monitor with rear cross traffic alert, lane departure alert and auto high beam.
Traction control, stability control, anti-lock braking, automatic brake-force delivery, brake assist, eight airbags (driver and front passenger, driver knee, front passenger seat padding, driver and passenger side, front and second row side curtain), seatbelt pretensioners, LATCH anchors on second row, whiplash damage lessoning seats, and a tire pressure monitoring system are also standard safety features on all models. When backing up, the driver will use the regular rearview camera to spot a child behind the vehicle. In slick conditions, all-wheel drive is an alternative that will assist with handling.
The optional Blind Spot Monitor functions by detecting vehicles in adjacent lanes and alerting the driver through side mirror indicators. As backing up, rear cross-traffic signal detects approaching vehicles from any direction and issues an audible alarm, as well as blinking signs in the exterior mirrors.
- Anti-Lock Brakes => 4-wheel ABS brakes.
- Brake Assist => Brake assist.
- Brake Type => 4-wheel disc.
- Child Seat Anchor => Child seat anchors.
- Child-proof Locks => Child Protector Rear Door Locks.
- Driver Airbag => Driver side airbag.
- Electronic brake force distribution => Electronic brake force distribution.
- Front Seat Belts => pre-tensioner.
- Ignition Disable => Engine immobilizer.
- Knee Airbags => Driver-side knee airbag.
- Passenger Airbag => Passenger side airbag.
- Rear View Camera => Rear view camera.
- Roof Side Curtain => Side-curtain airbags.
- Side Airbag => Front seat-mounted side airbags.
- Clock => Digital clock.
- Floor Console => Front center console.
- Floor Covering => Carpet floor covering.
- Floor Mats => Carpet floor mats.
- Folding Rear Seats => 60/40 rear fold down bench.
- Front Seats => Active front headrests.
- Front Seats => Height-adjustable driver’s seat.
- Front Seats => Front seat back pockets.
- Front Seats => Front bucket seats.
- Front Seats => Available.
- Instrumentation Type => Digital and analog instrumentation with Eco Drive Monitor.
- Low Fuel Warning => Yes.
- Low Washer Fluid Warning => Yes.
- Number of Cup Holders => Front and rear cup holders.
- Outside Temperature Gauge => Yes.
- Rear Center Armrest => Rear folding center armrest.
- Seat Trim => Cloth seats.
- Tachometer => Yes.
- Water Temperature Gauge => Yes.
- Driving Lights => Daytime Running Lights.
- Exterior Folding Mirrors => Manual folding exterior mirrors.
- Exterior Mirror Color => Color-keyed mirrors.
- Exterior Mirrors Lamp => Exteriors mirrors with Integrated Signal Lamps.
- Headlight Type => Halogen headlights.
- Head lights => Automatic Headlamp Cancel Function.
- Heated Exterior Mirrors => Yes.
- Mudguard => Front and rear splash guards.
- Power Exterior Mirrors => Power-adjustable outside mirrors with integrated turn signals.
- Privacy Glass (option) => Yes.
- Rear Spoiler => Yes.
- Rear Window Defroster => Yes.
- Roof Rack (option) => Silver Painted Roof rails.
- Tinted Glass => High solar energy absorbing window glass.
- Drivetrain => Front-wheel drive.
- Engine. Name => 2.5L L4 DOHC 16-valve.
- Stability Control => Yes.
- Traction Control => Yes.
- Transmission => 6-speed automatic transmission with manual mode.
SUSPENSION AND STEERING
- Front Anti-Roll Bar => Front stabilizer bar.
- Front Suspension => Front independent suspension.
- Front Tires => P225/65R17.
- Power Steering => Electric Power Steering.
- Rear Anti-Roll Bar => Rear stabilizer bar.
- Rear Suspension => Rear independent suspension.
- Spare Tire => Full-size spare tire.
- Turning Circle => 10.6-meter turning circle diameter.
- Wheel Type => 17” steel wheels.
The 2014 RAV4 has a style that is both futuristic and traditional. Toyota is actively seeking to infuse more excitement into its cars, but the organization is still mindful of the dangers of marginalizing its existing client base. The RAV4 has been designed especially for them.