The fourth generation Toyota RAV4 will appear in 2013. Although the 2013 RAV4 looks and drives a little better than the previous edition, it remains strikingly vanilla in Toyota style.
The RAV4 was the world’s first crossover SUV when it was launched in 1995 in the United States. Since then, there have been several progressive generations.
Due to low demand, the 2013 RAV4 loses its third-row seating, as well as the more powerful V6 engine option, which is replaced by the more fuel-efficient 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine.
The 176 horsepower and 172 pound-feet of torque engine is still available. The four-speed automatic transmission has been replaced by a six-speed automatic transmission, with the top two cogs acting as overdrive gears to boost fuel economy.
Fuel economy has been increased throughout the board with City/Highway/Combined EPA rating 24/31/26 miles per gallon with front-wheel drive (compared to 22/28/24 mpg for the pre-2013 RAV4) and 22/29/25 mpg for the all-wheel-drive 2013 RAV4 AWD (21/27/24 mpg for the outgoing model).
The exterior of the 2013 Toyota RAV4 has been altered in order to evoke more passion and desire. The spare wheel is no longer stored on the tailgate, but rather under the trunk board, where it is most widely used. Despite the improvements, it appears uninspiring and uninteresting.
The interior of the 2013 RAV4 has been upgraded, including a SofTex leather band that extends the length of the dash. Although the feel isn’t necessarily luxurious, it holds its own against the market, and the comfort is outstanding.
The 2013 RAV4 is a good move forward in terms of handling on the highway. It has a lot stronger and more grounded feel than before. The steering is a bit rubbery, but the braking is outstanding. Despite the advances, the car appears to fail to engage the driver. It’s better, but it’s not exciting. Overall, the current 2013 RAV4 is a major update over the previous iteration.
2013 Toyota Rav4 Models
The 2013 Toyota RAV4 comes in three models: LE, XLE and Limited.
2013 Toyota RAV4 LE ($23,300) comes standard with air conditioning, fabric-trimmed six-way power adjustable driver’s seat, four-way front-passenger seat, 6.1-inch touchscreen with rearview camera, remote keyless entry, day/night rearview mirror, Eco/Sport mode, AM/FM CD player with MP3/WMA playback, six-speaker audio, auxiliary jack, USB port with iPod connectivity, Bluetooth, 17-inch steel wheels. (All prices are MSRP excluding $845 destination charge.)
2013 Toyota RAV4 XLE ($24,290) upgrades with dual-zone climate control, premium fabric seats with bolstering and French stitching, power tilt/slide moonroof with sunshade, roof rails, power heated outside mirrors with integrated turn signal, chrome accented grille with silver highlighted lower grille, fog lights, 17-inch alloy wheels.
2013 Toyota RAV4 Limited adds Softex trimmed eight-way power-adjustable driver’s seat with French stitching and sports bolstering, four-way power front-passenger seat, leather-trimmed steering wheel, leather trimmed shifter lever, Softex covered armrest and console box, dual sun visor extensions, push button start, power liftgate, 18-inch alloy wheels.
Options include navigation with Sirius XM Radio, HD radio, voice recognition and text-to-speech ($1,030), 11-speaker JBL audio system, blind spot monitor and an all-wheel drive system ($1,400).
Safety equipment on all models includes stability control, traction control, anti-lock brakes, electronic brake-force distribution, brake assist, eight airbags (driver and front passenger, driver knee, front passenger seat cushion, driver and passenger side, front and second row side curtain), seatbelt pre-tensioners, LATCH anchors on second row and whiplash injury lessoning seats, tire pressure monitor system. The optional rearview camera can help the driver spot a child behind the car when backing up. Optional all-wheel drive can improve handling stability in slippery conditions.
SAFETY OF 2013 TOYOTA RAV4
- Anti-Lock Brakes => 4-wheel ABS brakes.
- Brake Assist => Brake assist.
- Brake Type => 4-wheel disc.
- Child Seat Anchor => Child seat anchors.
- Child-proof Locks => Child Protector Rear Door Locks.
- Driver Airbag => Driver side airbag.
- Electronic brake force distribution => Electronic brake force distribution.
- Front Seat Belts => pre-tensioner.
- Ignition Disable => Engine immobilizer.
- Knee Airbags => Driver-side knee airbag.
- Passenger Airbag => Passenger side airbag.
- Rear View Camera => Rear view camera.
- Roof Side Curtain => Side-curtain airbags.
- Side Airbag => Front seat-mounted side airbags.
EXTERIOR DETAILS OF 2013 TOYOTA RAV4
- Driving Lights => Daytime Running Lights.
- Exterior Folding Mirrors => Manual folding exterior mirrors.
- Exterior Mirror Colour => Color-keyed mirrors.
- Headlight Type => Halogen headlights.
- Headlights => Automatic Headlamp Cancel Function.
- Heated Exterior Mirrors => Yes.
- Mudguard => Front and rear splash guards.
- Power Exterior Mirrors => Power-adjustable outside mirrors with integrated turn signals.
- Privacy Glass (option) => Yes.
- Rear Spoiler => Yes.
- Rear Window Defroster => Yes.
- Roof Rack (option) => Roof rails.
- Tinted Glass => High solar energy absorbing window glass.
INTERIOR DETAILS OF 2013 TOYOTA RAV4
- Clock => Digital clock.
- Driver Info Center (option) => 6.1-inch Display Audio.
- Floor Console => Front center console.
- Floor Covering => Carpet floor covering.
- Floor Mats => Carpet floor mats.
- Folding Rear Seats => 60/40 rear fold down bench.
- Front Seats => Active front headrests.
- Front Seats => Height-adjustable driver’s seat.
- Front Seats => Front seat back pockets.
- Low Fuel Warning => Yes.
- Low Washer Fluid Warning => Yes.
- Number of Cup Holders => Front and rear cup holders.
- Outside Temperature Gauge => Yes.
- Rear Center Armrest => Rear folding center armrest.
- Seat Trim => Cloth seats.
- Tachometer => Yes.
- Water Temperature Gauge => Yes.
- Drivetrain => Front-wheel drive.
- Engine => 2.5L L4 DOHC 16-valve.
- Stability Control => Yes.
- Traction Control => Yes.
- Transmission => 6-speed automatic transmission with manual mode.
SUSPENSION AND STEERING
- Front Anti-Roll Bar => Front stabilizer bar.
- Front Suspension => Front independent suspension.
- Front Tires => P225/65R17.
- Power Steering => Electric Power Steering.
- Rear Anti-Roll Bar => Rear stabilizer bar.
- Rear Suspension => Rear independent suspension.
- Spare Tire => Full-size spare tire.
- Turning Circle => 11.4-meter turning circle diameter.
- Wheel Type => 16” steel wheels with covers.
CONCLUSION ON 2013 TOYOTA RAV4
The 2013 Toyota RAV4 has been revamped and re-engineered to provide efficiency, comfort, and usability. If you buy this awesome car, you will realize it is worth it.